2013

2013

4.17.2013

Have Hope. Be Kind.

There has always been violence and anger and hatred.  In every corner of the World, even in our own little corners, for we are obviously not immune.  The Boston Marathon bombings are once again, an unspeakable tragedy.  3 lives lost, hundreds injured with missing limbs, all on what was a day to be celebrated with family and friends for months of training and dedication and success.  I avoided reading or watching anything, I was in denial and felt safe there.  Then I came into work and my boss told be that the little boy who died, had just hugged his father after finishing the race.  I lost it.  It was only a matter of time before the stories would start to unfold.  That was one I wasn't ready to hear.  I bet that father will remember that last hug for the rest of his life.

I have become speechless in the wake of all these tragedies and this unspeakable violence that is plaguing our lives.  I thought after 9/11 that, ok, this is the worst it will ever get.  Now I am wondering if it only feels like the beginning.  It almost feels like the World is off.  I am not sure if there is more social awareness to violence, more reporting, if I am getting older, or if things really are getting worse.  I am hoping that I am more aware and if so I'd like to go back to my Sonja fantasy land.

Whenever these events take place, I get sad, I feel overwhelmed, I feel hopeless.  But only for a blink.  And then I realize that the World is full of all kinds of people, some pretty darn evil.  I like to think that people aren't, but certainly we know what is capable out there.  But then I always go back to all the good in life.  For when you stop and take a look, there is so much to find hope and joy and kindness in.  And honestly, not one of us is ever going to be able to change all the evil in the World, but we all have the power to be just  little gentler and kinder to everyone we meet.  To be better parents to our children, to show compassion and grace, to lend hands and hearts.  This is not say we can all be this way 100% of the time, but what would the World look like if we were more accepting of ourselves and others, if we forgave people for  being human, if we let go of grudges, if we smiled more, said hello, offered someone a cup of coffee.  And imagine if we were all just better parents to our children.

I love this quote by Mother Theresa, it reminds me that we are all connected to each other and once we realize this, I believe that real peace can begin to emerge.

“If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.” 
― Mother Teresa

And this one too....

“Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.” 
― Dalai Lama XIVThe Art of Happiness

Have hope.  Be kind.






No comments:

Post a Comment