As most of you know, I am a vegetarian, I am coming up on two years in August. While I am surprised myself that I actually stuck with, it really hasn't been that hard. And that is because my reason for becoming a vegetarian is for the moral and humane aspects of eating meat. Every time I think about where most meat and poultry we buy comes from I am instantly reminded that its not worth it to eat that meat and support the horrific conditions that the animals live in. I had also cut out eating eggs from places that I know buy from mass produced places where the chickens are treated awfully. And I added extra funds to my grocery budget to buy free range, humane certified meat and poultry for Rafa. I can't expect a Brasilian to become a vegetarian can I? : -)
But the last few months have been busy, and while I have not eaten meat, I have not been buying free range or humanely certified items. But let's be honest, I have been just out right lazy. One extra stop with an infant seemed too much. Really too much? How about I cut out that extra stop at Starbucks instead. And I have eaten egg sandwiches at places like Jack in the Box. Not only is that just bad for my health, but I know Jack is not buying from our local farmer where the chickens are treated humanely.
I have fell of the humane wagon. But, not any more. I am officially back on my game and will not make any more excuses. This is something I believe in with a passion, and how I want to raise Lucia. While she can choose to eat meat when it comes times. I want to her to know that her family cares about the welfare of all animals, not just our Bella Rhea. And living in Oregon with all of our local resources, there is just no reason not to.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi

No comments:
Post a Comment