2013

2013

4.14.2011

Birth Story

As you all know, I was completely terrified to be induced. But in the end everything happened as it should and now we are blessed with Lucia Kate...the most perfectly precious, amazing, wonderful, and lovely little human I will ever know in my whole life.

We went into the hospital at 1201am on Saturday morning April 9th to be induced.  When I got hooked to the contractions monitor, we realized I was already having contractions on my own, I just didn't know it.  But we went ahead and put in a cervix softener to see if that would trigger stronger and more frequent contractions.  But that didn't work.  So my doctor came in at 8am in the morning and stripped my membranes (broke my water) and from about 830am until 230pm I had some major bring you to your knees contractions.  However, when the nurses checked my cervix at 230pm, I hadn't dilated past 2cm, which is what was at when I entered the hospital. That was pretty disappointing.  Our nurse Mary kindly suggested that if in 4 hours, I hadn't dilated more that I might want to consider an epidural.  At that point, I was in so much pain, I decided for the epidural right then.  I was so scared to get it that I was shaking.  While it took my pain away by about 330pm, the loss of feeling in my legs, combined with increased heart rate, and the worry about my daughter did not allow me to feel like I could sleep or rest.  The good news was that at about 6pm, I was dilated to an 8pm and we were on our way!  I couldn't believe it and thought the nurse had to be wrong!  At that point though, I stopped dilating at 8 cm and the doctor suggested I get a tiny bit of pitocin to encourage stronger and faster contractions.  I agreed.  By 730pm, little Lucia was already crowning, and then everything happened at lightening speed. The room was all set up, the mirror brought in so I could see the birth, the doctor arrived, and I began pushing at about 750pm.  I pushed about 10 times and little Lucia was born at 812pm!    The nurses and doctor called me the Super Star Pusher for how fast and controlled I was able to be.

There is not one thing I would change about my labor and delivery.  Not a thing.  Rafa and I made all the decisions together, I was able to feel true labor, was able to feel in control of my decisions and of me pushing her out, and in the end, was blessed with a beautiful baby girl.

The nurses at Good Sam hospital were amazingly supportive, kind, loving, informed, and attentive.

And....Rafa was a perfect partner; supportive, encouraging, loving, kind, and I could feel his strength at every moment.  I could not have done this alone, for he is a big part of why my labor and delivery was so smooth.

Here are a few photos...


















































No comments:

Post a Comment