2013

2013

1.27.2014

Birth Story

I actually haven't given birth yet, but I thought I would I begin to tell a story because I think something, may be happening.  I surely can't go much longer right?  I will be 40 weeks tomorrow and I am peacefully aware that if I don't go into labor on my own, then I will be induced next Thursday the 16th. the same timing as with Lucia.  But, here is what has happened in the last 24 hours with Baby Brother:

On Thursday, January 9th I went in to see Doctor Barrett.  She did a cervical exam and determined that I was 4 cm dilated, 80% effaced, and that baby brother was low, very very low at +1 station.  The stations start at -3 and go to +3, +3 is when he is crowning.  That's low and I can feel it.  She said that if I show any signs of active labor, water breaks, painful contraction, that I should head straight to the hospital, no lolly gagging.  Needless to say, Rafa packed up the truck with our bags and the car seat and I could see he was no longer cool and collected ;)

So last night, the 9th, at about 730pm, I started getting contractions and they were regular and consistent, every 3 minutes for 1 minute long, and lasted until 1130pm.  Because of what my doctor told me, I was worried.  So at about 1030pm, I called my doctors office and had the on call doctor call me back.  She told me that if they weren't increasing in pain, to just try and rest.  So I tried, but I couldn't sleep through them.  so an hour goes by and I decide to call my hospital.  The nurse there was really helpful and basically gave me the same guidelines except that she added, if you feel like this is it, don't hesitate to come in.  I had only known induction contractions with Lucia, which were hell, so I don't know what progressively painful contractions really feel like.  I ended up falling asleep until 6am.

When I woke up in the morning, everything was normal again, except that right before we headed out the door, I realized that I had also had some bleeding, which is a sign of cervical dilation.

So as of now, I am still having contractions (not regular) and I am super tired.  I have no idea what is to happen next.  Part of me feels like any minute this is going to happen.  The other part of me feels like I will be induced next Thursday.

Time will tell!

FAST FORWARD!

Well nothing ended up happening.  My body was doing something but not enough.  So Rafa and I headed to Good Sam on January 16th at 7am for an induction.  I was absolutely terrified, I cried all the way to the hospital.  We got there, checked in, changed, and we were on our way.  Dr. Barrett came to break my water at about 830am and the pitcin started.  The contractions came fierce like no ones business.  I decided right away that I would have an eipidural.  Dr. Barrett said I would have the baby by noon and boy was she close.  After one hour of strong contractions, but having the epi, I progressed from a 5 to a 10 in no time.  In fact when Dr/ Barrett came back they could already see his head coming out.  Of course I couldn't feel a thing.  So three pushes and he was out and he was perfect.  12:24pm. It seriously was the easiest, painless, and smoothest birth ever.  At least for me since Lucia was a 20 hour labor.

Gabriel Jose Figueira was born into our family at 9lb3oz and 23 inches long.  He was surprisingly big, but not fat.  He was long and lean.  He had a head full of hair and came out screaming.  The scored him with a 9 for Apcgar.  He slept and ate so well, we were waited on hand and foot, it was a calm environment for just the 3 of us.  Of course I missed Lucia, but I am so thankful that we had this time together, just the 3 of us.

We are so blessed that he is strong and healthy.  And I am so thankful to not be pregnant!

That's my epi face :)




Relief, thank God he is perfect.



















Leaving the hospital!










No comments:

Post a Comment