IN TRANSIT:
Before we even left Portland!
Us at the Lima airport, TIRED!
Rafa sleeps at Lima airport, I couldn't do it, so I kept guard :)
CUSCO, PERU
Shanti Town for sure. I am not sure this is supposed to be an actual room to sleep, but here is our first hostel and that green sign is supposed to mean that the room is safe in case of an earthquake. Let's not bet on that!
View from one of the highest points:
Archaeological site in Cusco:
Mate de coca, to help with altitude sickness (which neither Rafa or I got)
Lunch at a little place in Cusco.
Hillside living in Cusco:
Hostel in Cusco on night after the trek ended, another little shanty town : )
On the drive to KM 82 (starting point for Inca Trail):
THE TREK:
Day One- Start of the Inca Trail (The Easy Day). Note: everyone is happy here : )
Love these animals:
The kitchen and the cook - food was incredible. We had steak, chicken, pasta, rice, stuffed avocados, cake, and sooo much soup. I ate better on the trek than I do at home.
Donkeys and ruins, they just hang out as if it was normal to be living on an actual Inca city!:
Rafa takes in the view on day one:
View from day 1:
The 1st Campsite, 4 tents (one for us, one for a family of three, one for the guide, and one for the kitchen and dining room):
Trying to sleep, very cold!
Day Two (The Difficult Day):
The hike up...this was 5 hours of straight incline hiking. The guide said for advice "Hike 30 minutes up, take a 5 minute break". Hahaha, funny. We ended up walking 1 minute, resting for 5. It was brutal, the picture does not give it justice.
We made it the top! 4200 meters, higher than Mt. Fuji!
And it was cold up there:
And once we reached the peak, we had to climb all the way back down, 2 hours. It never ends!
View from second day:
Sunset from where we camped on day 2:
Day Three (The Long Day - 9 Hours of hiking):
Rafa and I at archaeological site:
Porters - they were amazingly strong and very friendly.
View from Day 3:
Still day three, on the actual Inca Trail:
Hike down on Day 3, it was 2 hours like this, no joke. It was one of the most exhausting points of the trail because we had already hiked 7 hours at this point.
The trek group, the guide, and the porters on the last evening together, so sad:
Day Four:
Up at 350am to begin the final 2 hour hike into Machu Picchu before sunrise. At this point, we didn't care about the time.
Wanay Picchu at sunrise:
And we make it to Machu Picchu in one piece and with so much love!
Inca Ladies at Machu Picchu, nice photo Rafa!
AGUAS CALIENTES:
This is a little town that is the meeting point before we head back to Cusco, can you imagine living so close to Machu Picchu every day?
These were the natural hot springs pools where trekkers go to soak their bodies after a grueling 4 day trek. There are pebbles at the bottom of each pool for your feet. This is also where locals go to take showers and baths (in the running water, not the pools). I was a little grossed out at first, but then just went with it.
LIMA:
Housing in Miraflores (the nice part of the city):
Religious temple near Miraflores. As we were on the tour, excavators found actual pieces of clay pots. Really cool:
A little Alpaca friend:
Cloudy day along the Pacific Coast in Lima:
Rafa gets his first pedicure in Lima!
And finally, I wrote this poem about by experience during the trek:
I am born as the sun graces the infant sky
An Inca within me and a chance to begin
As the water flows like a God on earth
Streaming down by skin
The mountains as I pass
Paint the horizon with rich colors of grey
A color far to see in the distance
But easily discovered within my heart
Delicate winds pass through my soul
Hand and hand with the spirit and yet I cannot see
Carried along with these clouds
That embraces the earth with desire
The trail leads me to a peace not found in a land of familiar
Carved stones for eternity
Step by step
The power of the purity at my feet, I glide
And to the end the memory enriches my spirit
The destination passes, the journey remains
A soft glow of the moon remains
Until the sun may rise again tomorrow.

I adored all the photos, the places are pretty
ReplyDeleteas it is to walk for 7 hours in ascent! ??
ReplyDelete